Friday, August 27, 2021

Should we celebrate heavenly birthdays?

 




I never thought the anticipation of Meghann’s upcoming birthday would be so painful. It's been three years since Meghann passed away.  I still find myself in tears when something reminds me of her. It may be as simple as hearing kids splashing in a pool or seeing a picture on facebook of a back to school picture. Recently I was shopping with my step-daughter, Brittney and every place we went there were Mickey and Minnie mouse items. It was a reminder of all the Mickey and Minnie mouse things I used to buy for Meghann. She loved anything that had either character on it.




To say Meghann loved her birthday would be an understatement. The day was all about 

her and isn’t that what most of us want on our birthday. I never said she wasn't a little

spoiled. Spoiled in a good way!!  If that is possible.  She would start talking about her 

birthday as soon as she was finished with school for the year. She knew she had a summer

birthday.After she graduated high school she managed to figure out when to begin talking

about her birthday a few months before her June 27th day. Even on her last days on earth

as sick as she was laying in her hospital bed she would whisper in a voice horse from the

ventilator tube being inserted and removed several times, about her upcoming birthday. 

I didn’t mind promising her several times a day we would have a big party to celebrate her

birthday when she got out of the hospital. She would try each time to give me a half smile

with a quiet “yeah.” Each time she mentioned her birthday the crack in my heart would

spread a little bigger. I had hope that Meghann would heal from the  gall bladder surgery

and even make it through the pancreatitis to celebrate another birthday with me. I couldn’t

imagine living my life without my baby. Sadly there are only heavenly birthdays left for

Meghann. 





I thought about or should I say dreaded  Meghann’s upcoming birthday this past June.

After reflecting on the upcoming date of June 27th I slowly began to change my mindset 

about the day.  What could I do to honor or celebrate Meghann’s day? I had to do something to

not only make it through the day myself but something that would have an impact on somebody

in my community.  I began to brainstorm my plan for the day. 


There were a couple of things I needed for this day. I needed an act of kindness to spread, a

friend who would join in either laughing or crying with me, and something to share that

Meghann loved. 

The golden arches popped into my head!!  




There was one thing I knew about Meghann. Ever since my grandma introduced her to fish

sandwiches at McDonalds that is all she wanted when we passed a restaurant. Gift cards

would work for spreading kindness.  All I was left with was who would make this day

memorable?I have a lot of friends who would of loved to join me for the day including

my husband. However I thought about what I needed, not what everyone else would want.

This was a difficult task for me. The only  person who I thought would be up for the task was

my good friend, Marie. After all, what better person to understand me on this day than a mother

who has a son, Finn who has a diagnosis of autism. Moms with special needs kids know what

I am talking about when I say I needed a mom who was in my circle.





I bought a handful of gift cards from McDonalds and Dairy Queen. I tied up individual

baggies with pink ribbon.  Then I filled each one with a gift card along with some other goodies.

I loaded my car in the early morning on June 27th.



 



This is Marie and me in my car with a basket full of gifts. Ready to spread kindness

at the local parks in Kewanee.










We ran around tying bags to the playground equipment. Of course, leaving one on the

wheelchair accessible swing. Then we took off for the other park and tied gift cards all over the playground equipment.


I couldn’t complete the day without returning to Sheffield where I raised Meghann.

We proceeded to tie more gift bags around the park in Sheffield making sure we left

one at the new wheelchair accessible swing. 
















We ran into four young kids playing at the park and we hand delivered them

each a goodie bag. They were very excited to see a McDonalds card in the bag. 






The day wouldn’t be complete without a stop out at the cemetery to visit

Meghann’s grave. We put balloons, flowers, and confetti all over Megahnn’s

grave.










After decorating Marie and I shared an Oreo cookie dessert for Meghann. She loved

her oreo’s !!! 


At first I was not going to share this day on my blog. It has taken me a couple of months

to think about it. The one thing I do not want is praise for spreading kindness on Meghann’s

birthday. I wanted to share this day with you because I didn’t lay in bed all day and cry. I got

up and made Meghann’s day a positive day for me just like the day she was born over 30

years ago.  Her birthday is always a difficult day for me. No more!! It's time to celebrate

Meghann’s birth and her life. It may be without her physically but that doesn’t mean I can’t

celebrate it. I hope this blog will help everyone realize it's okay to celebrate our loved ones'

birthdays after they are gone. I for one plan on celebrating Meghann’s birthday every year.
















Happy Birthday, Meghann !!! 
Mommy loves you and misses you every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment