Tuesday, January 21, 2020

CUZ, I CAN





On June 27, 1987 I gave birth to my daughter, Meghann. I was over the
moon to become a mother. I am not ashamed to say I was even happier
that I had a girl. Meghann was welcomed with enthusiasm by my entire
family. I was ready to spoil this little girl with all of the typical girl “stuff.” 
My family was too. They started spoiling Meghann before she even left
the hospital. Our hospital room was filled with pink dresses, shoes, flowers,
blankets, and more. 




Almost a year later, Meghann was diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Many of
the dreams I had as a parent changed. Although some of the things I had
planned on were not going to happen for her, I accepted it. I concentrated
on the things Meghann could do. I learned quickly with a little creativity that
anything was possible. Cerebral palsy would not stop us from doing
everything Meghann and I wanted to experience. 




One day I decided to get a library card for Meghann. It was during this trip
that I discovered that there were no books available about children who
had different abilities. It was during that moment that I thought to myself.  


“I need to write a children’s book about differently abled children.” 

Of course at the time, I was working full time and raising Meghann. I put
the thought of writing in the back of my mind. Over the years the thought
occasionally crept back into my head. Like many of us I ignored it. 
It was only after I decided to move on from Cosmetology and go back to
school that it popped into my head again and didn’t leave. 
With my husband, Dan’s, encouragement I started writing stories, and
I have continued to write stories to this day. 


When Dan suggested I write a blog, I thought “Why not?” ( Until I posted it)
I was a little nervous but faced that fear and did it!!!











 I wrote my first blog on July 13, 2015.

https://parentingcelebratingsmallsteps.blogspot.com/2015/07/detourproceed-with-caution.html

Over the years, I have written about my daughter, Meghann. I  have
blogs that have been read by people from Germany, Australia, Nigeria,
Portugal and most recently Cameroon. I watched as my blog reached
over 2,100 people at times. It has been the most rewarding experience
for me. 
During this time, I continued writing stories and ideas down on my laptop. 
I secretly hoped that someday I would be brave enough to make a
children’s book. 


And.......that day has arrived !!!


Today on my blog, I want to introduce my first book available to the public.

It is entitled MEGGERIFFIC: CUZ, I CAN 



Why is she in a wheelchair? Why can’t she walk? What’s wrong with her?
Why can’t she talk? How does she play if she can’t walk? 

These are some of the questions that I was asked when I was raising my
daughter, Meghann. If you have heard these questions from your child or
someone close to you how did you answer the questions? Here is the answer.
Allow this book help you with these questions.  It is never too early to learn
about differing-abled individuals.





I know I will not become a millionaire selling
this book and that is fine. This is not my goal.
I want to raise awareness and inspire all
people that anything is possible.
By the look of the SMILES in pictures I have
been receiving I think the book is working.




Follow along with Meghann as she
uses visual aids to show some of the
fancy and unique ways she has fun
with her cousin, Peyton. 












The Amazon link for 
                                    CUZ, I CAN



I hope this book will give all children, regardless of their abilities, the courage
to follow their dreams CUZ, THEY CAN. 



Meghann's cousins Andrew and Peyton. 




https://www.amazon.com/dp/1659218780/

ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Cuz%2C+I+CAN&qid=1579630997&s
=books&sr=1-1


amazon.com/author/jillmaglioryan






























2 comments:

  1. It's an adorable book written by someone who was a wonderful Mother to her daughter Meghann. It focuses on all of the positive and fulfilling aspects of Meghann's life - all the things she could do, not all the things she couldn't. I highly recommend it for parents and kids alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen. You know the potential all kids have in life. Sometimes they just need a little boost. I hope this will inspire everyone to at least try.

      Delete