Tuesday, March 27, 2018

What does Easter mean to you?






Meghann Easter Outfit

Everyone celebrates Easter for various reasons. Christians celebrate Easter Sunday as the day of Jesus Christ’s resurrection.  Department stores show us what it means to them by stocking the shelves with toys and candy for parents to purchase. Children go to bed with the excitement of waking up Easter morning to find decorated eggs and candy hidden by the bunny.

Can you relate?



Easter BIG bonnet
Easter has meant all of these this to me at one time or another. 
When I was raising my daughter I loved going shopping for an
Easter dress and bonnet. Of course, I used any excuse to buy
another adorable dress for Meghann.
The tradition of decorating eggs, and filling a basket was
always one that I enjoyed. I love to be creative and Easter
would provide me the perfect opportunity to put my talents to
work. I might have been a little over zealous because Meghann
wasn’t usually as excited as I was to get our hands sticky. For
anyone who knows Meghann you probably understand.
(Yes, Crystal you did FINALLY convince Meghann to lick her fingers!!)


Meghann was never able to walk independently. She began using a
wheelchair at a young age.
Since she was an only child and in a wheelchair it wasn’t a big deal
for my family to not have an easter egg hunt. Everyone in my family
 made sure she had a huge basket of goodies. In all honestly, all
Meghann really cared about was getting new puzzles. And she was
never disappointed by me or my family.
Mostly Meghann and I lived in a world where everything was
accessible until a holiday approached. Our home, van, school, and
 bus were all modified to Meghann’s life. When we had to venture
outside of those areas the challenges tripled. There were steps, small
doorways, cramped bathrooms, maneuvering and cousins who never
sat still. Easter was no exception when it came to  Meghann’s cousins
activities. They would run around, play outside, and leave her to spend it as a bystander sitting with
me. I helped her be a part of their world until she grew too big, and then we had to adjust to the
different worlds.

Easter chocolate all over Meg

When I see all of the  ideas for wheelchair users  on pinterest, facebook, and the internet  it makes me sad. I wish I had the power to grab Meghann and jump in a time machine. I would go back in time. Then I would insist on using the balloons tied to eggs instead of thrown on the ground where my little girl couldn’t reach.  Meghann could of participated with her cousins in the Easter egg hunt with a little modification.














Maybe in the big scheme of things that Easter egg hunt doesn’t really matter.  Meghann and I did everything that counted to us at the time. We shopped for her dress and hat. We attended church all dressed up where Meghann was showered with love and acceptance. Every year the Easter bunny left her plenty of candy and puzzles in a basket.  I think Meghann has done pretty well over the years, and I am sure she would agree. I have a feelling Meghann would be happy even if she didn’t get the new puzzle every year from the Easter bunny. Don’t you?






April 3rd Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Online Support Group Meeting for parents/caregivers of special needs
Children and Adults





Join other special needs parents, guardians and caregivers online every month as we come together
to share our concerns, experiences, knowledge and joys with one another.

Regardless how old your special needs  loved may be, there will be something for you in this support group.

If you are a seasoned parent/guardian/caregiver then consider paying it forward with your expertise. Wouldn't it be rewarding to pass on the power of knowledge to each other?

Join special needs parents, guardian and caregivers online every month

Where: Free safe online meeting place
When: The first Tuesday of every month Next meeting- April, 3
Time: 7 P.M. central
Why: To lend support to one another through sharing similar struggles, experiences and offering suggestions on solutions.
Topic:  What do you need as a special needs parent?


For more information contact:
Jill
815-866-3776
http://parentingcelebratingsmallsteps.blogspot.com/

https://zoom.us/ 


ID number for zoom- 815-866-3776
Phone in number- 646-558-8656

Next months meeting date- May 1, 2018

Below is the link to the audio of April 3rd support group meeting

https://zoom.us/recording/play/O4Nu_oouQ42lrkfKTjCZfEtNIwztF7hkY3iV8dxnH3yo_zlrHfT8vlFDlU9i555i



No comments:

Post a Comment